Thursday, November 11, 2010

Even Happier - Week 6

Week 6 is titled Benevolence. Benevolence means an act of, or a general inclination towards, charity. The author states that "Helping oneself and helping others are inextricably intertwined: the more we help others, the happier we become; the happier we become, the more inclined we are to help others." Today is Veterans Day and this reminds me about people caring so much about Veterans on Veterans Day, but what about the other 364 days of the year? People volunteer on Christmas and Thanksgiving at soup kitchens but what about days that aren't holidays? I do not volunteer as often as I should and I could come up with a million excuses but they would be just that excuses. The other day Brett and I bought some Sprinkles cupcakes to donate to the Salvation Army. We didn't eat them because we had just had breakfast. After leaving Sprinkles we were stopped at a red light and there was a homeless man asking for money, Brett rolled down his window and asked him if he wanted a cupcake, he did and Brett gave him a Sprinkles Red Velvet cupcake. I hope it was the best cupcake he has ever had.

No comments: